Position Name: Consultant (Digital Interventions)
Duration: 15 days spread over 3 months (February to April 2022)
Location: New Delhi, with occasional travel to the project locations in Bihar
Position reports to: Director – SBCC, PCI India
About Project Concern International India (PCI India)
The Project Concern International, India office was incubated two decades ago with a mission to accelerate a broad range of health and development outcomes in India. Over the years, PCI has maintained a diversiﬁed portfolio, working in the areas of public health, nutrition, WASH, gender, social protection and disaster response aimed at reaching out to low-income, vulnerable, and hard-to-reach populations. Use of innovative techniques for community mobilization, social behaviour change communication (SBCC), capacity building of grassroots level staff and cadre, and last-mile connectivity using low-cost technologies are prominent features of PCI India’s programs. For more information on PCI India please click HERE.
About JEEViKA Technical Support Program (JTSP)
PCI has been extending technical support to JEEViKA in the state of Bihar since 2012. Since its inception the program has extensively leveraged the SHG platforms to accelerate states progress towards better health and nutrition outcomes. The project ‘Parivartan’, implemented from 2011 to 2014 in Bihar, demonstrated the efficacy of layering behaviour change interventions on SHG platforms to improve nutrition outcomes among rural and marginalized families. Since 2015, JEEViKA with technical support from PCI has integrated health, nutrition and sanitation (HNS) interventions within the existing JEEViKA framework as an effective approach towards addressing vulnerability reduction and, thereby, helping in the alleviation of rural poverty. The program has employed a multi-pronged Social Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) strategy at scale across all blocks and districts of Bihar, to influence the existing knowledge, attitude and practices of rural women and their families for improving their HNS conditions. Building on the success of JTSP’s cost-effective, scalable HNS model, PCI is now supporting the Uttar Pradesh State Rural Livelihood Mission and Tripura Rural Livelihood Mission to achieve sustainable improvements in Health and Nutrition (HN) outcomes. For more information on JTSP program please click HERE.
Next phase of JEEViKA Technical Support Program (JTSP)
In the previous phase of JTSP, PCI created an edutainment fictional drama series to support the SBCC activities being undertaken through the SHG groups. Three episodes of the series called ‘Chatkarey Zindagi Ke’ were created on pilot basis to promote messages related to nutrition of pregnant and lactating women, children’s nutrition, family dietary diversity and nutri-garden. The episodes can be seen HERE. PCI also created a Videobot to answer the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to nutrition messages, and two games to further engage the audience. The Videobot can be seen HERE. The Google Playstore link for the game ‘Chatkarey Bhare Sawal’ is HERE, and for the game ‘Sehat Ka Tadka’ is HERE.
In the current phase of the program PCI is now planning to create 12 (Twelve) more episodes of the program ‘Chatkarey Zindagi Ke’ and newer digital products to complement the different themes that will be addressed through the new episodes. The new episodes are expected to focus on themes related to Family Planning, Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health (MNCH), Immunization, Diseases like diarrhoea, pneumonia & Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES), Gender Equity and Economic well-being of the poor and marginalized groups (these themes are tentative and may change slightly before the final production of episodes). The purpose of this document if to brief qualified Professionals interested to apply for this consultancy assignment.
Candidates interested to apply for this consultancy assignment are encouraged to watch the episodes of ‘Chatkarey Zindagi Ke’ and the digital products (videobot and games) to get a thorough understanding of our requirements. We expect to continue the edutainment drama series to address newer themes of Family Planning, Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health (MNCH), Immunization, Diseases like diarrhoea, pneumonia & Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES), Gender Equity and Economic well-being of the poor and marginalized groups (these themes are tentative and may change slightly before the final production of episodes). We intend to leverage the continuity of the drama series and the equity created by the characters who have been liked during initial screenings. The episodes and digital products created in the pilot phase have been screened in SHG meetings, households and communities through the smartphones of the Community Cadres, pico-projectors operated by JEEViKA staff, distributed among SHG members through WhatsApp groups and through social media platforms like YouTube and Facebook.
- TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE CONSULTANT
To help the project implement the planned strategy of using the 4E approach in the next phase of the program, the project needs an experienced professional for the following key tasks and deliverables:
- Working with the SBCC and project team to conceptualize appropriate digital interventions (using AI, Machine Learning, VR/AR/MR) for further engaging the target segments beyond the edutainment drama series.
- Working with the SBCC team to develop specific scope of work and technical brief for digital and creative agencies interested in submitting their proposals in response to the RfP.
- Working with the SBCC team to review the agency proposals (technical approach and relevance, technical skills and experience of the proposed team members, quality assurance process, cost and time reasonableness) for selecting the best agency.
- Guiding the project team for pretesting the intervention concepts and refining them as per the feedback received from the target audience.
- Supervising the quality of the production, processing and final products in line with the approved proposal and project needs.
- Working with the SBCC team to approve the quality of the final products.
- Working with the SBCC team to review the key performance analytics of the interventions to assess their reach and effectiveness.
- Advising the SBCC team to manage the process in case of unforeseen and unexpected events.
- Working with the SBCC team to develop the capacity of the project and JEEViKA team members to design and implement Digital Interventions.
- KEY QUALIFICATIONS OF THE CONSULTANT:
- A professional postgraduate or higher qualification from a reputed institute.
- Experience of at least 10 years working at senior positions in a digital production company, advertising agency, or international agency of repute.
- Experience of handling chatbots/videobots/digital games, including the use of VR/AR/MR games for social and developmental purposes.
- Deep understanding of social development issues related to maternal and child health, nutrition, family planning, gender empowerment and poverty reduction.
- Deep understanding of social and behaviour change communications.
- Understanding of digital and social media, and experiential marketing.
- Deliverables for the Consultant
- Inputs into the conceptualization of appropriate digital interventions (using AI, Machine Learning, VR/AR/MR) for further engaging the target segments beyond the edutainment drama series.
- Inputs into the specific scope of work and technical brief for digital and creative agencies.
- Participation in meetings to evaluate the proposals received and presentations by the shortlisted agencies.
- Participation in fortnightly update meetings with the project team to review and assess the progress ad performance of the digital agency selected for the digital interventions.
- APPLICATION PROCESS
Interested candidates can apply for the Position of Consultant (Digital Interventions) by 17th January 2022,5:00 pm